Dry or Dehydrated Skin: Is There Any Difference?

Dry or Dehydrated SkinAlthough it is the largest organ in your body, your skin is also the most sensitive. Different weather conditions, lotions or moisturizers that you apply on your skin and even the amount of water that you drink are important factors to determine whether your skin is healthy or not. The thing is that your skin may be completely dry or simply dehydrated. Now that’s the problem. Unless you know what exactly your skin’s problem is, you will not know how to solve the dry problem or the dehydrated thing.

Dry VS Dehydrated

Determining whether your skin is dry or dehydrated is pretty easy. You already know how enough water makes your skin well moisturized even without the lotion, right? And there’s a pretty good explanation for it. Your epidermis contains about 80% of water (that’s only for the deepest parts of your skin cells). The rest of the 20% is found in your stratum corneum which is the outermost layer of your epidermis. Actually, they only contain at least 10% and when the water levels of your stratum corneum are less than the prescribed 10%, that’s when the dehydration seeps in. Therefore, having a dehydrated skin is just saying that your skin holds water a little less than it should. In short, it lacks moisture while a dry skin is a matter of lack of natural oil.

What causes dry and dehydrated skin?

There are a lot of factors that contribute to your having a dry and dehydrated skin. It could be a matter of heredity, skin products or your own doing; your lifestyle has something to do with it too you know. But just so you know whether your skin is more dry or dehydrated or both, here are some aspects to look out.

Dry skin is typically caused by:

  • Genetics
  • Skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema or ichthyosis
  • Aging
  • Underactive thyroid glands
  • Menopause
  • Continuous use of astringents
  • Strong acne medication, skincare products or harsh cleansers

Dehydrated skin is typically caused by:

  • Too much exposure to the sun, wind or cold conditions.
  • Taking hot showers/baths for too long.
  • Alcohol, caffeine and any diuretic drinks
  • Smoking
  • Taking too much of salty foods

Now that you know the difference between dry and dehydrated skin and the factors that affects them, here are some quick and easy to follow lifestyle remedies that you can do.

  • Use lukewarm water when bathing and keep your bathing/showering time as brief as possible.
  • Use friendly skin soaps that will not be too harsh on your skin; mild soaps and cleansers with the prescribe skin pH of 5.5 would be best for you.
  • Apply moisturizers to your skin.
  • Exfoliate to remove dead skin cells in your body and help your skin absorb more water and moisturize better.
  • Drink the prescribed 8-10 glasses of water a day to keep your skin hydrated.
  • Keep your coffee, alcohol and carbonated drinks to a minimum.
  • Snack on plenty of fresh juicy fruits for natural and nutritious water content.
  • Eat fatty fish like salmon and sardines for a rich source of oil for your skin,
  • Do with some supplements for your skin like Vitamin E and Omega-3 fatty acids.
  • Limit your skin exposure over the sun, dry or humid weather conditions. If you want to spend your day under the sun, make sure that you protect your skin with a sunscreen.

Easy, isn’t it? And it will be easier. You will be more beautiful and you’ll feel better about yourself with a moisturized, healthy looking skin.

Note: This is a guest post submitted by a non-affiliated writer. Read our guest post disclaimer for more information.




Leave a Reply